Sunday, November 26, 2006

 

Let the Caucuses Begin!

The Des Moines Register has several pieces of interest this morning: a survey piece of the state of play on both sides of aisle in presidential caucus campaigns, and indepth look at Senator Barack Obama's potential team within the state, and an announcement from the Republican Party of Iowa:

Mark your calendars, the 2007 Republican Straw Poll will be Saturday, August 11, 2007 in Hilton Coliseum. I know it may take holding your nose for some folks to step foot in ISU's basketball venue, but I remember this being one of the coolest political events I've ever attended eight years ago. There was something about a gathering that was a fun party -- mixing food, music, and politics and drawing families, many of whom I would have never expected to go to a political function -- that just felt like the way politics is supposed to be.

I hope that our state party pulls together another excellent event this summer -- though I do find it strange that there's still no mention about it, not even a press release, on the party website or "blog." UPDATE: Guess we just had to wait 24 hours for the official word.

Comments:
"I know it may take holding your nose for some folks to step foot in ISU's basketball venue"

Hmmm... Two words for you I have, Pierre and Pierce.....


You are right Versteegh, the Ames Straw Poll is the largest, most exciting and greatest political spectacle in modern American politics vastly surpasing the national conventions in stature. I was there in 1996 and 2000 was even crazier. It is a must attend for any registered republican.
 
Hilton is a great place for the Straw Poll..lord knows if they tried pulling it off here at UIowa..there would be a near riot in the streets.

But hey..at least the Dems here are engaging in a lovely circular firing squad here with the Board of Regents and the UI President search..

I just love watching Dems beat the crap out of each other.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home