Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

I always did feel lonely at New Pioneer Co-op

So, Johnson County has a plethora of "satellite voting" locations in the weeks leading up to the election. This is a phenomenon I had never heard of until moving here -- the Auditor sets up at "convenient" (ie: heavily democratic) locations around the county where individuals can register and vote at these locations on the spot, using an absentee ballot. I am not a fan of the practice -- particularly as administered with such variance across the state.

Nevertheless, that's the way it is here in Johnson County. Now, one statistic from the early voting statistics made me laugh, and I just felt like sharing. You see, I've been a member of the New Pioneer Co-op since I first moved to town. And I've always felt a little lonely, driving up with my Nussle-Vander Plaats bumper sticker, and making my way through the organics, wine, and non-dairy products. Turns out it wasn't just paranoia. The satellite voting station held at the Co-op one day has the distinction of taking in the lowest number of Republican votes of any station. How many Republicans dared to not only shop but vote at the Co-op? TWO.

It seems that the Crunchy Con movement still has some growth to do here in the People's Republic of Johnson County.

Comments:
"People's Republic." That's classic. I don't think we conservatives should ever feel like we don't "fit it," so to speak, at a place like the Co-op. It's as much ours as it is anyone else's, is it not. I don't feel there's anything intrinsically "liberal" about organic foods. After all, conservatives have always made it a priority to support the American small farmer. Besides, New Pioneer does have the best selection of quality meats in town, and if you want food that's less processed, or you have family members with diet restrictions it's a great place to shop. So, let's continue shop (and maybe even vote) at the Co-op. And when we walk through the door we'll have our heads held high.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home